Thursday, November 8, 2012

The Home Stretch

So, no update on Monday. Honestly, I did not update because at that point I hadn't written anything. Guild Wars 2 had been a bit of a distraction. That course has changed which is why i'm updating now. As of this morning  I have written 69,328 words, 22 chapters, 223 pages of what has been my most inspired piece of work to date. We are now entering the home stretch with just over 10,000 words left to reach my word count goal. Looks like number 23 will be the final chapter, which will bring the first book in the series to a close. Just in time too with Cold Days coming out in 19 days.
    This as you know is just the beginning of the Road to Luimere. The writing. Next in our adventure will be the completion of editing and allow a few friend of mine play the role of test reader. I believe that part may be trickier than actually writing the book. I have a rather impressive list of people looking forward to reading it. I think it's a really good, but I can't go own my own opinion as a writer is his own biggest fan and his worst critic. For all I know it's a big heap of cow dung.
    Following the beta reads we enter into revisions taking to heart the comments and suggestions of the readers to smooth out kinks and correct awkward wording. Then I torture my step mother one more time with editing. Next is deciding were I'm going to sell and what kind of formatting is required. Amazon is a given, but I'll want to look at the other places as well. Well that today's update as all ways Thanks for reading.

Today 's Sample will be from chapter 12 Marcus get a new suit from a Gnome Talior by the name of Richie.


I pulled off the highway and we made our way through the busy streets of Luimere. I found a parking spot in the small lot behind the boutique. I exited the steam-powered car and opened the back do to let Lucy out. She settled her hand in the hook of my bent arm and we walked around the front of the building.
     The front featured two large windows displaying complete garments. They were flashy and nothing I would personally wear but the craftsmanship was very impressive. We walked up to the door and Lucy knocked on it twice. An elderly gnome about three feet in height wearing gold jeweler's glasses answered the door. He wore a sky blue button down shirt with a vibrant purple bow tie. He wore ash gray and white pinstriped pants held up by purple suspenders and a black leather belt. He spoke in an accent I could not place.

Miss Lucy it has been too long. Oh, you look so fabulous. I'm amazed this fits you so well. And look at this fine specimen of a man. Please both of you come inside.”

It is good to see you, Richie.” Lucy said as we entered the Boutique. The two of them exchange quick kisses on each cheek.
How has business been?”

It has been well, The competition is fierce but I still have my wits about me. Needless to say your mechanical stilts put me on a level playing field.”

That is good to hear. This is Marcus Moore. He is a close friend of mine and will be my guest for the Silverstein's event this evening.”

Hello.” I said.

And what a man. I don’t think I've seen eyes so golden before.” He clutched a small hand around my thigh and then my forearm. “Oooh, he's in shape too. Lucy you brought me a gem to work with.”

Wait till you see him with his shirt off.” They both laughed wholeheartedly as we walked into the back of Richie's workshop.

     The room was perfectly circular. Along the walls were row and columns filled with roll of fabrics. There were racks covered with various leathers and Shelves filled with materials to make jewelry and accessories. In the center of the room was a raised pedestal about two feet in diameter. The light brown carpet was worn in tight circle around the pedestal.

Now Marcus come with me. You will need to remove these garment for me to see the canvas I have to work with.”

     Richie took me by the hand and lead me over to the raised pedestal. I reluctantly removed my clothing save my underwear. Richie folded each piece respectfully and placed them on an empty shelf. He and Lucy stood next to one another and stared. Richie then tapped a button on the floor next to him and the pedestal began to slowly rotate.
    
Lucy, He has the body of a God. The scars makes him all the more appealing. Are you certain he is not a present for me?”

He belongs to no one, Richie. However I’d be lying if I said I have not enjoy his company.”

Um. I am standing here.” I said.


No comments:

Post a Comment