Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Because I have to Write


As I sit here today at the job filling my brain with new knowledge, I find my mind drifting to my works in progress. I saw the above image while web browsing and the message really hit home. More so now than ever I feel this way. One would think that after completing one book in a span of three months a break would be expected. But as I anxiously wait for the edit to return. The cogs and and wheels in the clockwork of my brain are winding and turning, new visuals are formulating and though I should be learning my mind is drifting. I find myself resisting the urge to open up Dropbox and loading up on of the two new projects, the prequel and the sequel to Moore For Less Investigations: The Kid. I find and internal conflict forming , though my logical brain will shut the other side up. I tell myself the job is for now, the writing is for the future.  

I read an interesting blog to day about becoming a full time writer. http://www.kseniaanske.com/blog/2012/10/17/you-can-write-full-time-quit-your-job.html

Now this is not something I could personally do at this point of my life, still it did make me think. I desire to make writing my career, not a wish blown on a dandelion. Do I have the gift? There are those out there that seem to believe so. Can I make it happen? A few months ago I would have said "Nah, it just a dream or one of these days" or "I'll get that book done.( After I beat this video game.)" 

That was then, however now, One novel down, the game has changed. The prospect of being a writer full time is not some mythical creature dreamed up from the hopes and wishes of a child. The idea that I have the the will, the skill, and the desire to make this a reality is tangible. The question is "At what cost?" What am I willing to sacrifice to make this happen?  The only thing I have to offer to the Muse is time. Honestly it is the one thing that any writer has to offer. So we sleep a little less, we watch little to no TV, we play fewer games and surf social media site far less. Note: that I didn't say we sacrifice these things, we are in fact sacrificing the time we dedicate to them. I personally don't believe you should totally cut yourself off from these things. Why? Because our environment inspires us.

Man cannot remake himself without suffering, for he is both the marble and the sculptor. (Alexis Carrel)

I wish to wish everyone a Merry Festivius and as all ways thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment